From professionals to recreational athletes, concussions are one of the biggest health issues in sports today. In addition, what constitutes as “normal” for recovery from a concussion can vary widely from one individual to another.
Penn Therapy & Fitness therapists can provide rehabilitation services to manage conditions related to concussion including (but not limited to):
- Balance problems
- Memory dysfunction
- Visual blurring
As part of the Penn Medicine continuum of care, we work collaboratively with the Penn Concussion Clinic, a comprehensive multidisciplinary center designed to treat the needs most commonly faced by individuals who have recently suffered a concussion—either through a sports or non-sports related trauma. Penn Therapy & Fitness therapists collaborate with your doctors to create a treatment plan to manage concussion symptoms.
Your Penn Therapy & Fitness therapist will work with you to develop a rehabilitation plan that’s right for you, including:
- Balance/postural control assessment utilizing BESS (Balance Error Scoring System)
- King-Devick testing, an objective rapid sideline screening test for concussions
- Neurocognitive testing with ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing)
- Specialized occupational therapy focusing on cognitive strategies related to daily functions, fatigue management, symptom management, and strategy development
- Specialized speech therapy focused on cognitive retraining and compensation strategy training
- Specialized vestibular physical therapy, oculomotor training, and cervical/balance therapy
At Penn Therapy & Fitness, we have therapists that can help patients navigate the course of their recovery by managing their symptoms. As difficult as it may be, truly resting your body and mind following a concussion can also result in you returning to your life much faster and avoid potential long-term complications.
Our outpatient concussion therapies are available at the following Penn Therapy & Fitness locations: