How to Have a Safe and Active Pregnancy is a free, one-night class offered monthly for pregnant women and new moms—offering fitness plans for during and after pregnancy. Moderate physical activity during and after pregnancy is generally safe for the mother and baby and can provide many benefits.
A Penn Therapy & Fitness therapist will work with you to develop a rehabilitation plan that’s right for you, including: Regular exercise during pregnancy has been shown to:
- Improve energy
- Improve constipation, leg cramps, bloating and swelling
- Improve mood
- Improve posture
- Improve sleep
- Help control gestational diabetes
- Shorten labor
- Add muscle while controlling weight gain
During this class, a Penn Therapy & Fitness therapist specializing in Women’s Health discuss common discomforts during pregnancy and how exercise can help by:
- Demonstrating proper positioning during breastfeeding
- Teaching roper lifting/carrying techniques
- Education about general stretching and strengthening exercises
You will need to obtain permission from your obstetrician before beginning an exercise program during or after pregnancy.
How to Have a Safe and Active Pregnancy is held the first Tuesday of every month from 5:30-7:30 pm at our Penn Therapy & Fitness University City location. To schedule a place in our class, call 215-349-5585.
Women's Health and Pregnancy services are also available at the following Penn Therapy & Fitness locations: