Vision loss impacts a person’s ability to complete everyday activities safely and easily. Glasses or contact lenses don’t always help--glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and cataracts rob people of their ability to see. These conditions lead to “low vision” or the inability to see when using glasses. The vision loss impacts a person’s ability to complete everyday tasks safely.
Penn Therapy & Fitness therapists can provide rehabilitation services to manage conditions to low vision including (but not limited to):
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Degeneration due to aging
Our Penn Therapy & Fitness occupational therapists will work with you to evaluate your current vision and create a treatment plan to maximize independence with low vision. We offer a variety innovative ways to make life more manageable with the vision you have.
Your Penn Therapy & Fitness therapist will work with you to develop a rehabilitation plan that’s right for you, including:
- An individualized vision testing to determine the current state of vision loss
- A plan for how you can improve ability to function at home
- Instructions for family members or caregiver participation
- Education on the best lighting
- Tips and tools to adapt your daily tasks
- Safety education
Our outpatient low vision therapy services are available at the following Penn Therapy & Fitness locations: